Creating the Future's
Board / Community Meeting:
Monday, May 10th, from 10am - 12pm Pacific time
Applying the "Integrity" lens to day-to-day operations
Watch the meeting LIVE at this post. Just scroll to the very bottom of the page.
Details about how to participate are below.
Applying the Integrity Lens to our Day-to-Day Operations:
This month, our Integrity Body (known in most organizations as the board) will continue the work of creating the nuts and bolts of what it will mean to be 100% focused on Integrity. What questions will they want to be able to answer when it comes to the day-to-day workings of the organization? And importantly for team members doing the work, what questions will they want to be sure they are paying attention to?
As we begin these conversations, here are just some of the issues to which we will be applying our Integrity lens:
- Fundraising: Are we walking the talk of our values in how we raise money? What will the board want the operations team to be able to answer, to know we're walking the talk of our values?
- Budgeting and accounting for the finances: What will the board want the team to be able to answer, to know our accounting aligns with our values?
- Job descriptions and hiring: What will the board want the team to be able to answer when it comes to hiring processes? What will they want to see in a job description, that will let them know it is aligned with our values?
- Compensation: What will the board want the team to be able to answer regarding our compensation policies?
As always, we will use Catalytic Thinking to explore these topics. And you are invited to have your voice be part of this conversation, in whatever way you feel comfortable (see the various ways you can participate below).
How to Prepare
First, let us know if you plan to attend by sending a note at this link. Per the "How to participate" section below, please let us know which of the 3 ways you would like to participate.
Second, if you are not familiar with Catalytic Thinking or the Integrity functions of our board, the following will be helpful:
For those who think visually, this PDF graphic of the Catalytic Thinking Framework will give you an understanding of the flow of the conversation. For those who work best with text, you can follow along with the questions that guide Catalytic Thinking at this link. We recommend having these pieces available during the meeting, to spark your thinking during the discussion.
To get a sense of the context of our Integrity Board, this post introduces our thinking about that.
How to participate
If you have never been part of Creating the Future's work, all our strategy and board meetings are open and participatory, for anyone who wants to be part of the discussion. You can see more about that at this link.
Where we meet:
The board meeting will take place right here at this post. If the video does not appear precisely on time, please be patient – we are probably just running a few minutes late.
There are 3 ways you can participate in our meetings.
- If your familiarity with and commitment to Creating the Future’s work - or your own experience with re-imagining organizational systems - is calling you to be actively involved in the meeting discussion side-by-side at our online “meeting table,” let us know, and we will send you an invitation to join us online.
- If you want to participate but are unable to be in the meeting itself (perhaps you’re at work, or maybe at home with kids running around, etc.), watch the live-stream in real time and tweet your questions and ideas to us via the hashtag #CreatingTheFuture. We read those tweets aloud during the meeting, just as if you were there. This is a great first step for those who are not as familiar with our work, but want to get more involved.
(Please note: We will only see your tweets if you use the #CreatingTheFuture hashtag. In addition, during the meeting, we will not look at blog comments here at this post. While we will check those comments later, during the meeting we will only be following the #CreatingTheFuture hashtag in the Twitter stream.)
- Lastly, if you want to simply watch, or you want to think about what you’re hearing and respond later – or if you will be watching the recording after the meeting happens – please add your thoughts into the comments here at this post. We will include that thinking into the mix of things.
We look forward to your being part of our discussion on Monday, May 10th!
* All Creating the Future's board meetings are open for anyone to participate, or to watch afterwards. To learn more about the thinking behind this openness - and our experiences with being open - click here.
Watch the meeting HERE on Monday
Note: if the meeting does not start on time please be patient as we may be running a few minutes late.
Logistics: The meeting will happen right here at this post.