Creating the Future's
Board / Community Meeting:
Monday, March 8th, from 10am - 12pm Pacific time
Using Catalytic Thinking to design our Board Recruitment process
Watch the meeting LIVE at this post. Just scroll to the very bottom of the page.
Details about how to participate are below.
Recruiting New Members to our Integrity Board:
What would it look like if your board's primary focus was integrity? At our February meeting, our board began considering what that "integrity" lens looks like regarding recruiting new members to our board. (See a summary of that conversation here.)
At our March meeting, we will continue that exploration, towards the goal of designing a Board Recruitment process for now and into the future.
- What qualities would we be looking for in board members?
- What could new board members expect as they step onto the board?
- What process makes sense?
As we seek to add new members to our board, we will be exploring these questions and more, live in real time - and hopefully with your participation!
• If you are interested in new ways of thinking about boards and/or governance in social change organizations...
• If you would like your voice to be included in this discussion...
• If you want to watch and think things through quietly alongside us...
YOU are invited to join in*, in whatever way you feel comfortable (see the various ways you can participate below).
How to Prepare
First, let us know if you plan to attend by sending a note at this link. Per the "How to participate" section below, please let us know which of the 3 ways you would like to participate.
Second, please read this summary of the first part of this discussion. That will bring you right up to speed, to dive into the next questions we will be tackling.
If you are not familiar with Catalytic Thinking or the Integrity functions of our board, the following will be helpful:
This PDF graphic of the Catalytic Thinking Framework will give you an understanding of the flow of the conversation. We recommend printing it out or having it otherwise available during the meeting, to spark your thinking during the discussion. You can also follow along with the questions that guide Catalytic Thinking at this link.
To get a sense of the context of our Integrity Board, this post introduces our thinking about that.
How to participate
If you have never been part of Creating the Future's work, all our strategy and board meetings are open and participatory, for anyone who wants to be part of the discussion. You can see more about that at this link.
Where we meet:
The board meeting will take place right here at this post. If the video does not appear precisely on time, please be patient – we are probably just running a few minutes late.
There are 3 ways you can participate in our meetings.
- If your familiarity with and commitment to Creating the Future’s work - or your own experience with re-imagining organizational systems - is calling you to be actively involved in the meeting discussion side-by-side at our online “meeting table,” let us know, and we will send you an invitation to join us online.
- If you want to participate but are unable to be in the meeting itself (perhaps you’re at work, or maybe at home with kids running around, etc.), watch the live-stream in real time and tweet your questions and ideas to us via the hashtag #CreatingTheFuture. We read those tweets aloud during the meeting, just as if you were there. This is a great first step for those who are not as familiar with our work, but want to get more involved.
(Please note: We will only see your tweets if you use the #CreatingTheFuture hashtag. In addition, during the meeting, we will not look at blog comments here at this post. While we will check those comments later, during the meeting we will only be following the #CreatingTheFuture hashtag in the Twitter stream.)
- Lastly, if you want to simply watch, or you want to think about what you’re hearing and respond later – or if you will be watching the recording after the meeting happens – please add your thoughts into the comments here at this post. We will include that thinking into the mix of things.
We look forward to your being part of our discussion on Monday, March 8th!
* All Creating the Future's board meetings are open for anyone to participate, or to watch afterwards. To learn more about the thinking behind this openness - and our experiences with being open - click here.
Watch the meeting HERE on Monday
Note: if the meeting does not start on time please be patient as we may be running a few minutes late.