Creating the Future is a collection of people around the world, supporting each other in creating a more humane world.
Experiment with systems change from the inside out, to ensure that the systems we all encounter are bringing out the best in people in any situation.
We all encounter systems every day – the habits, rituals, customs and rules that make up “just the way we do things.” Those systems are actually answers to questions (e.g. What should we do about X?). The experiment at the heart of Creating the Future’s work is to see how much more humane the world could be if the questions at the heart of those systems were aimed at bringing out the best in people. This ten year experiment began January 1, 2017.
To accomplish our mission, our work takes two interrelated approaches:
1) Experiment with organizational systems change ourselves, to learn and demonstrate what is possible. This includes demonstration projects with others as well as experimenting with our own organizational systems. We focus on organizations because people spend most of their time at work, with those “ways we do things” spilling over into their personal lives.
2) Share what we learn, creating conditions for others to learn and experiment in their own lives. We do that in several ways:
- Structured education programs. Providing people with knowledge, skills and practice to create their own systems change.
- Sharing Stories of what works to bring out the best in people. Learnings are shared via our blog, via social media, via videos, our eJournal, and any other means of anecdotally sharing what we are learning.
- Connecting, Convening and Building Community Creating and holding space for people to support each other in practicing new ways of being. An “open participation” mandate for all strategy meetings to be open to anyone who wishes to watch and/or participate. And modeling what it takes to create & maintain such spaces.
With 2017 kicking off our mission timeclock, this year began a concerted effort to scale our impact, from a founder-driven start-up to a community-driven global experiment. We hope this overview inspires you to experiment alongside us!